This project is read-only.

Scribd Access Token

May 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Hi All,

I am working on web application. I have a scenario that user will come to my site and Click on Scribd Authentication. From Which It redirects to Scribd site and Authenticate my application. After That it will return Access token for that user who authenticated my application or site to use its account on its behalf like all other api's facebook, twitter, Linked in Following oAuth And offline Access. Is that possible to do that with this library.

If its so Please help me in this regard with some code snippet.

Thanks

Arslan 

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I don't know what Access Token you're talking about so I'm going to go with "No, the library doesn't handle that."

May 11, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Bascially Most Of API Are Following oAuth 2.0 For Authenication, in oAuth When Webrequest is sent to API It Returns Some Access_token And Token_Verifier.  There Are Two Types Of Token. Normally Tokens Are Expired After Some Time Stamp Upon The Criteria Of That API Provider. But They Offer One Parameter That Generate Access Token That Never Expires And We Can User For Future Communication with API on Behalf Of User That Allowed That Application to Use Without Any Future Authentication. Mean Just User Visits The Sites Again And Do Their Task Without Any Authentication As He/She Created its Access Token for That API To Use With Specific Site Not For Others. And The Benefit of That oAuth is That Parent Website Like Mine www.XYZ.com That is using API of Other Site Dnt Need To Ask Username And Password on Their Site, The Users Uses The Actual Site in my Case like Scribd.com And After Verification of Scribd it Will return Access Token. So There is no Fear of Saving Any Credientials of user on Parent Site Like www.xyz.com

So is there any type of help in scribd API and Scribd Library. I was reading about one parameter on Scribd API Documentation that is ("user.getAutoSigninUrl"). Can You Please Explain About That And I Saw this in Your library too. Can You Please Help me in This Regard.

Thanks

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Arslan007 -

Yep, I get oAuth.  This library is simply a wrapper for the REST API.  I'm not an expert on how their system processes the API calls on their end.  The library tries to cover as much of the API as possible while giving the developer an object model to program against. 

Take a look at Scribd.com's developer documentation, specifically around User Authentication, for better insight on how they handle security.  They DO NOT have a "open id" or "oAuth" framework in place.  What you'll likely want to do is to implement that on your end, make a request to the Scribd API (through this library if you like), passing in a unique user id (from your side) to the my_user_id parameter, call the getAutoSigninUrl method, and once authenticated, use the my_user_id value on all subsequent calls.

Hope this helps.

- P